Skip to main content

Merry Monday - October Long Weekend



It's a long weekend here in Canada and I'm thankful for it. I've been able to get a few assignments done and do some house cleaning. I've also been able to watch the rest of Daredevil and relax despite having caught the class cold. A Kleenex box has been my closest friend this weekend. 
I made a nice turkey leg dinner yesterday complete with gravy, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, wine, and veggies. I didn't bother with potatoes as I didn't want to go through the effort of peeling and such. I also thought I had enough carbs on my plate. Dessert was Daiya strawberry cheesecake with fresh strawberries and coconut whipped cream. It was yummy. I need to fix the stuffing today as it's a little dry. 



Today I'm thinking about my goals. As I get closer to having my home in the state I want it, I can fit in other things. I have a study place for reading. After I put away my air conditioner, I'll have a place to practice martial arts and yoga in my living room as I've returned to a layout focused on relaxing rather than working in there. I'll be cleaning up my writing nook in the near future as it's now cool enough to use it. 

I still have a drawer to fix in my kitchen and I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I did just think of an option using my wooden TV tray rather than my dining table to work on it outside rather than making a mess inside with the shavings from the planing I have left to do. 

I got a rust proof shower caddy the other day to get things organized in there. I might need to extend a piece of my shower head to make it perfect, but it's a lot better and should be easier to keep things clean. 

I almost always have a bag of stuff I'm getting rid of. The more I remove, the better I feel as it's letting me focus on the things that are actually important to me like writing, music, and martial arts.

As for writing, I'm enjoying much of my coursework. It's making it hard to have time to edit my novel, but I'm starting to find the groove and I'm confident I'll be rolling on that soon too. 

My sewing area is a mess. Since both my sewing area and my writing nook are part of my bedroom, my bedroom is a mess right now. Once I conquer the main living areas, I'll be tackling the rest of my bedroom. 

As usual in my life, I've got no shortage of things to do. I'm finding even if I have only 15 minutes to work on cleaning, it makes me feel better and it's something I can have control over in this often crazy and scary world. 


So officially for ROW80 Round 4:

  1. School: This is my primary focus in life right now and most of my school work is writing. I'm aiming for 80-90 in all classes. I know that's not easy, but I don't just want to just pass like I did in many other post-secondary programs. I need to do better on readings and teach myself Adobe Premiere to meet this goal.

  2. Martial Arts: Practice at least once per week at home because school is making it difficult to make it to Tuesday evening classes. The space for this is almost clear. I can do the majority of the katas except for number 10 likely. The HEMA club will let me do some Iaido so that gives me another place to practice and get ready for grading on December 2nd.

  3. Home: Get the main living areas clean and stay on top of my dishes. Once that's clean, get the rest clean. Get back into my writing nook this month. Get the last kitchen drawer fixed. Do at least 15 minutes a day that isn't regular maintenance chores.

  4. Novel: Get at least a quarter of the way through editing the book before Christmas. This means get to at least chapter 6.

  5. Social: Make time for old and new friends where possible.

  6. Fitness: Do yoga at least twice a week to strengthen my core without hurting my neck. Do 10 minutes with the posture wedge each day to improve my neck issue. Do thoracic resistance band exercises daily to also help get rid of my neck problem.

  7. Stress: Make time for something fun each week to manage stress. Perhaps pick one Xbox game to play.


I've got lots to do despite this runny nose. I'll start with some reading for class and then move my air conditioner into storage. 

Guid cheerio the nou,

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...